Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Mafia

     The school Chaplain was sitting across from me enjoying the most delicious herb-incrusted steak known to man. Like me, he was taking the time to savor the rarity, the juiciness, and the absolutely evil layer of fat that was too good to pass up.
     "I got a call once," he said between bites, "I was offered a car. 'What kind of car?' I asked. 'Any kind you wish Father.' Of Course, that car would have been stolen. You should never take anything from them. Because once you do, you are theirs. They could ask you do ANYTHING at ANY time and you cannot refuse. In the old days they didn't touch priests. But today? Forget about it! No Respect! NONE! " My mouth dropped, eyes going wider then the plate of heavily food that sat in front of me. I had known this man for years yet he never once mentioned this shocking connection. Of course, when I had met him I was attending the school he was Chaplain of, so information like this would not have been let out. But that did nothing to diminish the surprised feeling that was washing over me at the moment. 
     "Someone I know has connections to the mob-the Mafia!" I thought to myself. This was so astonishing that, even though I had finished eating without thinking of it, it had entered my mind. 

     Yep, ladies and gents, I dreamt of the Mafia.

     They were after me. I don't know why, and I cannot recall if an official hit had been put on me. All I knew was that the best dressed Wise Guys were going to rub me out! I felt completely scared, guys all around me, waiting. Then, out of nowhere I see Ellen Page! I Got the sense from her that she could either help me, or was in the same boat as I was. 

     Thinking of it now, she must have been just as doomed. The last thing I remember is feeling half awake, the image of a suit hanging over me My arms tingled, my mind screaming "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" And then, my eyes opened. The Inn room were I was staying was dark and I realized that I was safe. Scared, but safe. My face was cold, but slowly warming up. To calm myself I checked e-mail, played a short online game of balloon popping and then went bad. Thankfully, I didn't dream of the Mafia again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment